Friday, January 3, 2014

South Beach & the Sun Bowl…Again


South Beach & the Sun Bowl…Again
By Andy Lopusnak, AndysPictures.com
December 29-31, 2013

For the second time in the past three seasons, I ended the year with a Jets-Dolphins game in Miami and the Sun Bowl. Only this time the games were switched with the NFL game on 12/29 and the Sun Bowl as usual at high noon on New Year’s Eve. In 2011, I did the Sun Bowl that Utah won in overtime 30-27 on New Year’s Eve and then covered the Dolphins’ 19-17 win over the Jets on New Year’s Day 2012, which was the last NFL contest for future Hall of Famers Jason Taylor and LaDainian Tomlinson. This time, the Jets won and likely it will be the last game ever played by future HOFer Ed Reed, who picked off his 64th pass in the game.

JETS 20, DOLPHINS 7
New York eliminated Miami from the playoffs with the surprising win after trailing 7-0 then scoring the game’s final 20 points. Jets rookie QB Geno Smith surpassed the 3,000-yard passing mark on the season during the game. He ran for a touchdown in the game. Rookie defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson pounded in the other Jets touchdown giving him two on the season (I covered the other one at Carolina two weeks earlier) which tied William “Refrigerator” Perry for the most rushing scores in a season by a defensive lineman. The Fridge also did it in his rookie year (of 1985 when the Bears won the Super Bowl).
For the Dolphins, receiver Brian Hartline went over 1,000 yards for the second time, but was injured on the play and missed the rest of the game. Without his favorite receiver, Ryan Tannehill struggled and at one point threw three interceptions in the span of eleven pass attempts.

This game marked by 275th NFL contest that I’ve covered since “turning pro” in 1997. Additionally, this became my 30th Jets game covered. Here’s a look at the teams I’ve covered the most during my CBS tenure and their respective records in those contests.

TEAM
MOST CBS GAMES
RECORD
1. Baltimore
32
16-16
    Houston
32
12-20
3. Cincinnati
31
9-22
4. NY Jets
30
14-16
5. Jacksonville
26
8-18


SUN LIFE STADIUM TIME LAPSE
I’ve done two 50-yard line time lapses here in the past, so with it supposed to pour down rain I only put out the GoPro Hero 2 for a really unique shot. I place it in the low end zone behind the goal post and a tarp with the Dolphins logo. I was a bit scared that the camera might get stolen since it was literally in front of fans (see photo below). It worked out though and is truly a great time lapse.

As you can see, the clouds are amazing (though it was very overcast). You cannot see much game action because it’s so low but I think the sky makes up for it as does the moving tarp in the wind. Notice at the very end as the ground crew takes down the goal post.

THIRD SUN BOWL
In the past five years, I’ve now covered the Sun Bowl three times. My first trip to El Paso was in 2008 when Oregon State beat Pittsburgh 3-0 in the lowest scoring bowl game since 1959. In the game, Victor Butler posted four sacks and 11 tackles. It was also the 75th edition of the Sun Bowl. Three years later, I returned as Utah beat Georgia Tech 30-27 in overtime with Utes running back John White scoring the game winner to go with 115 yards on the ground.

2013 SUN BOWL: UCLA 42, VIRGINIA TECH 12
Bruins quarterback Brett Hundley had a career day on the ground rushing for 161 yards on ten carries with two scores. He had an 86-yard rushing touchdown and another from seven yards out. His previous career high was just 85 total rushing yards. Hundley also threw two more scores in the win.


#1 PICK & HOFer ADDED
Bruce Smith, who played at Virginia Tech and was the #1 overall pick of the 1986 NFL Draft by the Buffalo Bills, was at the Sun Bowl. Smith is the NFL’s all-time leader in sacks and is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. With one photo, I added him to my collection of #1 overall NFL picks (CLICK HERE TO VIEW) and NFL Hall of Famers (CLICK HERE TO VIEW). Smith became my 22nd #1 overall pick I’ve photographed.

SUN BOWL TIME LAPSE
When I was here in 2011, I got a corner time lapse of the game (CLICK HERE TO VIEW); so I set up sideline shots in the broadcast booth as well as one in the end zone. This time, I set up three time lapses – one in the end zone, another at the 50-yard line and the third in the broadcast booth.

UP NEXT: Duke at Notre Dame Hoops
Next week, I’ll be making my third trip to South Bend, Indiana to cover the Duke-Notre Dame college basketball game. Aside from the NFL playoff game the week after ND, I’m now into basketball mode the rest of the way.




No comments:

Post a Comment