Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Star Wars Hits Silicon Valley

Star Wars Hits Silicon Valley
By Andy Lopusnak, AndysPictures.com

At The Tech Museum of Innovation in downtown San Jose, the final stop in the worldwide tour of Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination exhibit continues until February 23, 2014. Since The Tech is less than a half mile walk from my apartment and that I like most loved the films; I had to go see everything.

Though I loved all the props and costumes; I left wanting more. It made me yearn for an official Star Wars museum with even more stuff or the ultimate museum of all things related to Industrial Light & Magic. If this were ever to be made, it would be epic and I’d imagine be one of the most popular museums in the world.

One of my favorite highlights was the inside of Darth Vader’s helmet. However, a disappointing thing was there wasn’t a prop of the Death Star and all the costumes were placed on generic mannequins inside of wax replicas of the actors. That said, it was pretty fantastic for my inner geek. I went on a Monday when it wasn’t packed; so all the photos look like I was the only person in the museum.

If you cannot make it to San Jose to see the exhibit, then check out my extensive photo gallery of everything BY CLICKING HERE.

Here’s a detailed breakdown of the items inside Star Wars:  Where Science Meets Imagination at The Tech Museum in San Jose.

Costumes
Jawa, Tusken Raider & Tusken Woman, Chewbacca, Han Solo, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Episode III), Anakin Skywalker (Episode I & III), Darth Vader, Stormtrooper, Mace Windu, Leia Organa, R2-D2, C-3PO, Snowtrooper, Wampa, Padme, Salporin and Tarfful.

Models
Sebulba’s podracer, Tantive IV, Y-Wing, Naboo starship, Millennium Falcon, the Devastator, TIE Fighter, General Grievous’s fighter, Trade Federation Crusier: Invisible Hand, AAT, Droideka, Imperial probe droid, Battle droid, AT-TE, AT-AT, AT-ST and X-wing.

Maquettes (very small models)
General Grievous, Luke Skywalker riding a tauntaun, clone trooper

Props
Luke’s landspeeder, thermal detonator, Jedi training remote, prosthetic hand from Anakin & Luke Skywalker, Lobot’s headgear, FX-7 & 2-1B medical droids, interrogator droid, Rebel Alliance macrobinoculars & sensor pack, Chewbacca’s bowcaster, Tarfful’s rifle, Alderaan blaster, various blasters (Boba Fett, Wookie, Alderaan, Rebel, Battle Droid) and various lightsabers (Darth Maul, Chancellor Palpatine, Count Dooku, Mace Windu, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Shaak Ti).


Puppets
“Naked: C-3PO (Episode I) and Yoda

Other features
There’s a reproduction of the Millennium Falcon’s cockpit and for an additional $5, you can view a four-minute video based on real-world space hosted by Anthony Daniels (3-CPO) and R2-D2. For me, it wasn’t worth it as I thought it was going to be more like Star Tours ride at Disney.

Within the exhibit are hands-on things based on Star Wars tech that is now part of our modern world. Good stuff for the kids, but wasn’t that interesting to the photographer in me. Also, it DOES NOT include admission to the actual Tech Museum.


No comments:

Post a Comment