Friday, December 13, 2013

Hoops/NFL Double Dip – Mizzou & the Nati

Hoops/NFL Double Dip – Mizzou & the Nati
By Andy Lopusnak, AndysPictures.com
December 5-8, 2013

For me, a tradition like no other is the college basketball/NFL double dip weekend the first weekend of December. This is my third straight year (fourth overall) doing the CBS opening tip game and then doing a football game the next day. My previous three opening tip/NFL double dips started out at Kentucky; and the last two both ended in Miami. Here’s a look at my four such weekends and how the teams fared.

YEAR
HOOPS GAME
NFL GAME
2013
MISSOURI 80, UCLA 71
CINCINNATI 42, Indianapolis 28
2012
Baylor 64, KENTUCKY 55
New England 23, MIAMI 16
2011
KENTUCKY 73, North Carolina 72
MIAMI 34, Oakland 14
2009
KENTUCKY 68, North Carolina 66
Oakland 27, PITTSBURGH 24

WOW! JUST WOW!
Columbia, Missouri is in the middle of nowhere and I had to fly into St. Louis then drive two hours to get there. However, since I was in St. Louis anyway; I stopped at the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis. This Catholic church is breathtakingly beautiful. I’ve photographed numerous churches all over the world and easily my favorite. Pope Paul VI called this place “the outstanding cathedral of the Americas.”

Though the basilica was completed in the 20th century, the inside is designed to look like the greatest example of Byzantine style under Roman emperor Justinian in the sixth century. It has nearly 42 million individual mosaic glass pieces with a range of over 8,000 different colors that were installed by Tiffany & Company. When I was in Istanbul this past May, there are two former churches (the Hagia Sophia & Chora Church) that were clearly the inspiration for this magnificent place of worship.


MIZZOU 80, WEST VIRGINIA 71
I got into town a day early to ensure I was there early for my photo shoots with the teams on Friday; so I photographed the Thursday night Mizzou game against West Virginia and also get three time lapses of the game. Missouri dominated from the opening tip. The final score wasn’t indicative, as the Tigers failed to hit free throws down the stretch. And yes, the final score of both Mizzou games were the same.

CLICK HERE TO SEE MY GALLERY OF THIS GAME

MIZZOU ARENA TIME LAPSE
Using my spare Canon SLRs and the GoPro Hero 3, I covered three different vantage points for the time lapse. The 20D was set up with the Canon 17-40mm L lens in the corner, while the 40D was high up in the rafters behind the boards using the Sigma 10-20mm lens and the GoPro was at midcourt. Below is a combination time lapse of these three views.

PHOTO SHOOTS
For the first time since the 2013 Final Four, I lugged out the lighting gear and shot some sportraits of Missouri and UCLA. I photographed six Tigers and nine Bruins. Looking ahead to the 2014 NBA Draft; nbadraft.net has two of these student-athletes as potential picks. On that site, they have Missouri’s Jordan Clarkson going #24 overall and UCLA’s Kyle Anderson at #31



MIZZOU 80, UCLA 71
Three Missouri players posted at least 20 points as the Tigers continued their NCAA active streak of 24 straight home wins to stay undefeated by beating the previously unbeaten UCLA Bruins. This game marked my first in Columbia since the 2001 college basketball season when I did two games at Mizzou within a month. Back then, the Tigers played at the Hearnes Center, before the Mizzou Arena was built three years later.

FAUROT FIELD AT MEMORIAL STADIUM
The Missouri football team’s stadium is under renovation, but I still managed to sneak in and got some shots of the empty stadium. It’s a horseshoe-shaped stadium with seating in the opening end with a grass berm in the curved end that has a giant block “M” that’s made out of pained white stones.


BENGALS 42, COLTS 28
The Ginger Gunslinger, Andy Dalton, completed 69% of his passes for 275 yards with three touchdown strikes and another on the ground to lead the Bengals to their ninth win of the season. Cincinnati jumped out to a 21-0 lead with ten minutes to go in the second half before Colts QB Andrew Luck threw the first of his career-tying four touchdown passes; but it wasn’t enough for Indianapolis.


FIRST FOR EVERYTHING
Since the game was in Cincy, I knew I could get out Sunday night and not waste an entire day of travel since I’ve been away from home since Wednesday night. I rushed to the airport only to find out that my flight was delayed, but would still get me home on time. However, that all changed when the incompetent ground crew apparently forgot that it was cold outside and wasn’t ready for us when the plane needed to be de-iced. It meant that with the extra hour on the tarmac that I missed my flight from Salt Lake City home to San Jose. Strangely enough, I’ve never had to stay overnight because of a plane issue in my more than 1.2 million miles on Delta/Northwest, or any airline for that matter. Once, it would've happened when I was living in Grand Rapids, but I just drove home. To add salt to the wound, I could see my actual plane leaving the gate when I arrived – it was in the opposite terminal. To cut the wound even deeper, Delta put me on a 3:00pm flight home on Monday. Luckily, I did manage to get them to change it to a morning flight, but to Oakland. Ugh.

UP NEXT: NY Jets at Carolina
Much like the Titans home game in Week Four, I’m beyond stoked to do this game. I had it circled when the schedule came out for a multitude of reasons. 1). I get to do my 28th out of 32 NFL home venue time lapses, 2). Photograph Cam Newton in an NFL uniform (I do so at the 2010 Iron Bowl when he was at Auburn), and 3). I will drive to Columbia, South Carolina Saturday after the production meeting to photograph my 41st U.S. state capitol building.


No comments:

Post a Comment