Saturday, January 5, 2013

Photo/Travel Blog: Week 17 - Houston at Indianapolis



Photo/Travel Blog: Week 17 - Houston at Indianapolis
By Andy Lopusnak, AndysPictures.com
December 29-30, 2012

My last game of 2012 took me to Indianapolis, Indiana for the first time since 2010 to cover the NFL regular finale between the AFC South champion Houston Texans and the Indianapolis Colts.

A blizzard hit Indy earlier this week that dumped more than 20 inches of snow. When I landed, it was white-out conditions and I couldn’t see more than a few hundred feet in front of me. It’s was a slushy mess with sleet-type snow off and on. Those are pretty terrible conditions to shoot. At night, it got better and I first nabbed a time lapse from my hotel room looking at the Indiana State Capital Building and the Indy skyline.

Since the last time I was in Indy in 2010, the JW Marriot hotel was completed and I wanted to get some shots of it from the other side of the White River near the Indianapolis Zoo.

It was below freezing but the sky had a purplish tone and I stayed out until about nine grabbing shots. One of my favorites was of the Indiana Word War Memorial.

COLTS 28, TEXANS 16
The Colts, which were a league-worst 2-14 last year, ended their improbable regular season with an upset over the would-be #1 seed in the AFC playoffs beating the Texans 28-16. Houston, which is now 0-11 all-time at Indianapolis, would have earned home-field advantage throughout the playoffs with the win is now the #3 seed and will host Cincinnati next week instead of having a bye.

This was my 30th overall Texans game covered for CBS, the most by any team. Houston is just 2-14 on the road in those contests (10-4 at home). For the Colts, this was my 23rd game and 11th at home. This also was the seventh time that I’ve done a Texans-Colts game (just the second in Indy though). It is the first game at Indy that I’ve covered that was without Peyton Manning under center.

TIME LAPSE: LOW CORNER (40D)
Back in 2010, I did two different time lapses of Lucas Oil Stadium. We can see them by clicking here (high end zone) and here (field level).

Using the Canon 40D, I set it up by the CBS “beauty” camera in the low corner. It took an image every 30 seconds fir the duration of the game for a total of 721 individual shots.

TIME LAPSE: SIDELINE (GOPRO HERO 3)
For Christmas, my wife got me the GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition and for its debut, I set it up at the 50-yardline with the back-up battery from the Hero 2. It lasted a little more than three hours of what should have been five. I went out this week and bought the version 2 battery pack so this shouldn't be a issue in the future. At an interval of every 30 seconds, it took a total of 371 images.

TIME LAPSE: TV PRODUCTION TRUCK (GOPRO HERO 2)
For a behind the scenes look at how CBS Sports broadcasts games, I set the GoPro Hero 2 behind the director showing his view of the multitude of monitors. Using just the one battery, the Hero 2 took 865 images using an interval of every 10 seconds totaling almost two and an half hours.

UP NEXT: TEMPLE AT KANSAS BASKETBALL
Next week, I head to Lawrence, Kansas for my second college basketball game of the 2012-13 season when Temple visits Kansas. This will be my third trip to Allen Fieldhouse.

BEST OF THE BLOG
Here’s my favorite shots from this past weekend in Indianapolis























































1 comment:

  1. nice stuff, as usual. I was in Indy twice, and posted some shots of my own. The first week, it was really cold, so I didn't venture too far from the hotel. The 2nd week, it was milder, but I still stuck with downtown. I have the same shot of the Capitol from my hotel window; there was a weird cloud pattern when I was there. I did miss the blizzard, tho!

    ReplyDelete