Thursday, November 15, 2012

Photo/Travel Blog: NFL Week Ten (Oakland at Baltimore)

Photo/Travel Blog: NFL Week Ten (Oakland at Baltimore)
By Andy Lopusnak, AndysPictures.com
November 10-11, 2012

I really enjoy coming to the Baltimore/Washington D.C. area because I always get great photos. However, I’ve been here a lot in the past few years so now I try to get new and different shots instead of the standard shots. Click the following links to see my vast galleries of Baltimore and D.C.

AWAKENING REVISITED
I landed at Reagan and drove to the National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Maryland to get new photos of The Awakening sculpture. The last time I shot this was in 2007 when it was at Hains Point in D.C. (click here to see shots from when it was at Hains Point). It was moved to the National Harbor in 2008.
The Awakening consists of five huge aluminum pieces of a giant man trying to escape from the ground. It was created by John Seward Johnson, who is known for creating larger-than-life human sculptures. I’ve photographed another one of his works, Unconditional Surrender, which is in San Diego, California by the U.S.S. Midway. It’s a 25-foot representation of the photo “V-J day in Times Square.” Here's a photo of it with some people to show the largeness of the sculpture.

MASONIC TEMPLE
Towering over Alexandria, Virginia is the George Washington Masonic Memorial. The 333-foot structure was built to look like the Lighthouse of Alexandria from ancient Egypt. It took a decade to build the exterior and was dedicated on the 200th birthday of Washington, a known free mason, on February 22, 1932. It took another forty years to complete the interior. I didn't have time to go inside as the next tour was two hours away and I needed to get to Baltimore. Maybe next time. I saw online that the murals are pretty outstanding. 

BALTIMORE TIME LAPSE FROM MY HOTEL ROOM
I love the views from the Marriott Baltimore Waterfront’s views of downtown and the Inner Harbor. My first view from this hotel was last October when I got some harbor and downtown (click here to view). Next was a full city view that I took a day-to-night time lapse (click here to watch). This time, wasn’t the greatest view since it was away from the skyline. It features the Legg Mason building on the right, the golden Katyn Memorial at the bottom and the rest of the Harbor East neighborhood. I used the 7D with an interval of every 15 seconds totaling 572 images.

RAVENS 55, RAIDERS 20
In my now 199 CBS and 245 overall NFL games covered since 1997, this was the highest point total by a team (55). Additionally, those 55 points by Baltimore is the most in franchise history and is tied for the most every allowed by Oakland.
Ravens QB Joe Flacco tossed for 341 yards with three touchdown passes and a rushing score. For the Raiders, QB Carson Palmer threw for 368 yards with two scores. Both passers had an interception.
I had to drive some CBS staff members to the train station after the game, so I didn’t do a time lapse this week. However, I’ve done two different time lapses at M&T Bank Stadium. Here’s a link to my favorite of the two time lapses here.

NIGHT VIEW FROM TIDE POINT
Last time I was in Baltimore, I discovered the Tide Point area and its view of downtown with the bulk carrier Fatih. After I took my CBS crew to the train station, I headed to this spot to get some night shots and wasn’t disappointed. A photo of it is at the top of this blog. Here's a video of this view taken with the Canon 7D sped up to look like a time lapse. 

The international headquarters for Under Armour is located in the Tide Point area of Baltimore. On my walk back to my car, I stumbled upon a 50-yard turf football field in Tide Point with the Under Armour logo. 

UP NEXT: CLEVELAND AT DALLAS
Finally, I get a CBS game in Dallas. Appropriately, it’ll be my 200th overall NFL game working for CBS Sports. Of the major metropolitans, Dallas (#7) is the only one in the top 32 that I’ve not shot; so I’m pretty excited to go to Dallas.

BEST OF THE BLOG
Here’s a selection of my favorite shots from this weekend.




















































No comments:

Post a Comment