Friday, November 9, 2012

Photo/Travel Blog – Giants and Bengals and Bearcats! Oh my!


Photo/Travel Blog – Giants and Bengals and Bearcats! Oh my!
By Andy Lopusnak, AndysPictures.com
October 31-November 5, 2012

I was clicking away all week. It was great, but very busy. I shot a college football game and a parade, had a photo shoot and covered the Denver-Cincinnati NFL game. Then on Monday, I shot the interior of the new 49ers stadium.  

A GIANT PARADE
Through Bay Area Sports Drive Magazine, I got to shoot the San Francisco Giants’ victory parade on Halloween morning. I was bummed two years ago when the Giants won it all because I was living in Tampa and missed out on the parade. This was the first championship parade I’ve every attended and it was a blast. Being on the street photographing all the players while confetti was flying everywhere was one of the best pretty awesome.



WILDCATS SHOOT
Thursday night, I flew from SFO to Cincinnati and then drove down to Lexington, Kentucky to do a photo shoot with seven players from the defending NCAA men’s basketball champion Kentucky Wildcats. Like the Baylor photos from the beginning of October, I cannot show you any of the photos until after the December 1 Baylor-Kentucky game.

THE NATI AT NIGHT
Friday night after I got back from Lexington, I went out and got a few new night shots of Cincinnati. I was in the Nati back in August for Tim Tebow’s NY Jets debut and you can read my blog about that game by clicking here and got a lot of shots of Cincy last December (click here to see that blog and those shots). 

The image at the top of this article is from Devou Park, which is across the Ohio River from Cincy in Covington, Kentucky. It’s an amazing view of downtown Cincinnati.
When the sun setting behind Devou Park, I headed to Mount Adams for a different view of the Nati. I shot here back in 2006 when I first got into shooting the cities. Since then, the new Great American Tower was built.
Sunday morning, I drove to a new view of downtown - Price Hill. Sadly, the sun rose behind downtown so I got a silhouette of the city. Then I came back after the game and got some night shots. 
Cincy is also known as the City of Seven Hills. Because of the seven hills connection to ancient Rome, Cincinnati got its name (Cincinnatus was a Roman general and dictator). 
SKYLINE & GOLD STAR CHILI
Chili is this city’s cuisine specialty. I’m not a huge fan of chili in general, but do like how Skyline Chill and Gold Star make it Cincy style. Maybe it’s the noodles, cheese and chocolate/cinnamon chili.
BEARCATS 35, ORANGE 24
Saturday, I shot the Big East matchup between Cincinnati and Syracuse. It was an overcast day, which was great for the shots. It did rain intermediately and then poured in the fourth quarter. My main camera, the 7D, had a battery issue midway through the third quarter and I didn’t shoot anything other than my two time lapses.
NIPPERT STADIUM TIME LAPSES
The Bearcats’ stadium, Nippert Stadium, has been called the Wrigley Field of College football. It is the fourth oldest playing site and fifth oldest stadium in college football. Nippert began as a simple field in 1901, then completed as a stadium in 1924. It has been renovated six times, most recently in 2005. The first game was played on this site almost exactly 111 years from this date (11/2/1901) when the Bearcats lost 16-0 to Ohio University.

END ZONE FROM SCISSOR TRUCK (GOPRO HERO 2)
The five-hour battery lasted for 5:56 and 687 images (every 30 seconds). It died with 1:07 left in the game. 

LOW CORNER (CANON 40D)
I set up the 40D where the Big East Network had its “beauty” camera in the low, left TV corner. The intervalometer was set at every 25 seconds. I did take it down with eight-minutes left because of the downpour and my lens was getting water on it distorting the time lapse.
BRONCOS 31, BENGALS 23
In spite of two consecutive interceptions, Peyton Manning rallied for his NFL-record 48th fourth-quarter come-from-behind win and is now 8-0 all-time against Cincinnati. Manning had three touchdown passes in the win.
PAUL BROWN STADIUM TIME LAPSE
I did two time lapses in August here. Click here to see the highsideline view and high north endzone views from August. I added two new views of Paul Brown Stadium this time.

OPPOSITE TV CORNER (CANON 40D)

HIGH SOUTH END ZONE (GOPRO HERO 2)

INSIDE THE NEW 49ERS STADIUM
Monday afternoon, I drove down to Santa Clara for an event by the 49ers' new stadium. The media event was to celebrate the beginning of installation of precast concrete and nearly 70% of all steel complete. Each piece of precast weighs 35,000 pounds and nearly 2,000 pieces will be installed in the new stadium that is scheduled to open in 2014.
THE OTHER HALL OF FAMER
In the past two weeks, I've covered teams that had two cornerbacks that the so-called experts say are sure-fire, first ballot Hall of Famers in Denver's Champ Bailey and Green Bay's Charles Woodson. I, too, believe that they are HOFers based on their careers, but find there's another active corner that has comparable if not better career numbers than both of these elite corners that is often times forgotten - Tampa Bay's Ronde Barber, who is the all-time leader among defensive backs in sacks and consecutive games played. Barber also ranks fourth all-time in league history in non-offensive touchdowns scored. Here's a side-by-side-by-side comparison of the careers thus far for Barber, Bailey and Woodson.

CATEGORY
BARBER
BAILEY
WOODSON
Tackles
1,187
860
921
Sacks
28.0
3.0
17.5
Forced Fum
16
9
29
Fumble Rec.
12
5
11
Interceptions
46
51
55
INT Yards
895
446
896
INT TD
8
4
11
Passes Def.
202
196
182
Total TD
14
5
12
UP NEXT: OAKLAND AT BALTIMORE
Ugh. I’ve been to Baltimore so many times and was hoping for the Chargers-Bucs game in Tampa because the birthdays of my sister and mother are this week (and I want to add a few Raymond James Stadium time lapses). Instead of getting the only game on CBS Sports in Week 10 with teams without losing records; I’m doing this dog of a game. Over the years, I’ve taken some great shots of Baltimore, click here to view those images.

BEST OF THE BLOG
Here’s a look at my best shots from this past week.










































No comments:

Post a Comment