Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Travel/Photo Blog: Final Four 2013

 2013 FINAL FOUR (ATLANTA)
By Andy Lopusnak, AndysPictures.com
April 15, 2013

The 2013 Final Four marked my third straight year covering college basketball’s top event. It was my second photographing the four teams in a studio setting and my first as the main-truck statistician.

Just like in Houston (2011) and New Orleans (2012), the Atlanta Final Four was in the NFL stadium and in a city that I’ve photographed numerous times. Unlike the previous years, the game and all the events as well as my hotel were all in a short walking distance.

The first two days in Atlanta were rainy and quite dreary, but the rest of the week was near perfect weather with fantastic clouds.

TEAM PHOTO SHOOTS
I previously photographed three of the Final Four teams (Louisville, Michigan and Syracuse) during the season and would get to shoot them again as well as Wichita State on the Thursday before the Final Four.

The images were used for the games as well as in pre-game features like one about Louisville’s Kevin Ware who suffered a horrible and graphic injury the previous week. Here's a photo collage for each of the four teams.  
 

 

BEHIND THE SCENES
In addition to my images, CBS had numerous specialty video shoots for the Final Four. I took some behind the scenes photos of these that you can see below.

REECE’S ALL-STAR TIME LAPSE
On Friday, the college basketball all-star game took place at the dome and like the previous two years at the Final Four, I took a time lapse of the event.

CONCERT PHOTOS
Like last year when I photographed KISS and Jimmy Buffett from the pit, I had the chance to do the same for three concerts over the weekend – the Zac Brown Band, Sting and the Dave Matthews Band. The first was on Friday night, while the other two were Sunday evening.


POST-CONCERT FIREWORKS
After Zac Brown on Friday and Dave Matthews on Sunday, there were fireworks in Olympic Centennial Park. For Friday, I photographed the fireworks from the 13th floor of the Omni where I was staying to get some of downtown Atlanta and the colorful Ferris wheel. Then I did close up shots on Sunday. that didn't come out as nice as the Friday images.  
NATIONAL ANTHEMS
Using my multiple cameras set up for time lapses, I got some great shots of the national anthem for the semifinals game (bottom left) and the title game (the other three).

NATIONAL SEMIFINALS TIME LAPSE
I was going to do multiple time lapses from various locations, but when I was setting up found out that two of my super clamps were broken and just did one.

CHAMPIONSHIP GAME TIME LAPSES
With all of Atlanta’s pro camera stores closed on Sunday (I guess because Georgia’s in the Bible Belt), I had to wait until Monday to get new super clamps. I set up four different time lapses using my 20D, 40D, GoPro 2 and GoPro 3.





POST-TITLE PHOTOS
After the game and my job was done, I went to the court and got a few photos of the Cardinals' cutting down the nets. Some of the shots are wide shots from my four time lapses as well.  





-- AndysPictures.com -


No comments:

Post a Comment